Sunday, May 1, 2011

Go Fly A Kite

So recently I've been struggling with creativity. I used to sit at my craft table and just throw things together so easily. Every piece I made was different. Now it seems I'm making the same things over and over. In an older post I mentioned that I got my oils out to try and pry my creative side back out and I think it's working. If I've got a fault in crafting, it is that I'm impatient. I want to start something and finish it right away. That doesn't work with oils. My painting is coming along, but it's taking a long time. I had started it with the thought that it was going to be a mixed media piece, and it will be once I'm done. But barely. Right now I'm only planning on adding some typed text.

I decided this mixed media thing was just what the doctor ordered. I recently stumbled upon an AWESOME website. http://www.scarletlime.com/ I watched some of the videos on their blog and was instantly inspired. I ordered different supplies, but didn't want to wait for them to come in. So I put the kids down for their nap and headed down to the craft room. This is what I came up with:


Please critique! I'm such a "neat freak" it was fun to break out of the mold and just throw paint around. I started the piece by putting down a layer of old map pages. Then I painted the background. Next came the stamping, and paper decopauge. Last the pen scribbling and a little bit of glitter.





Let me know what you think, I've already got some other ideas sketched out!

4 comments:

Rachel said...

I love it ~ I think it turned out great! Glad it got you "crafting" again!

My Colonial Home said...

Oh Heather I love your Whimsy and Folk Art style....just beautiful.

I so can relate to the 'mojo' thing.
Karen

theoldesaltbox said...

Thanks girls! The weather has finally improved here and I've been spending my time in the flower garden, but I'm so ready to craft some more!

Kindra-At Home With K said...

This is super cool! Great job!